In recognition of Japan's amazing contribution to world cinema, most notably in animation, the Cinemanila International Film Festival celebrates CINEMANGA. CINEMANGA is instrumental in introducing acclaimed anime films to Philippines shores. In 2005, it screened the award-winning films Appleseed by Shinji Aramaki, Steamboy by Katsuhiro Otomo and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence by Mamoru Oshii.
Cinemanga will happen on August 12, 8 pm at Cinema 1, Gateway Mall. It shares twin billing with Cinemanila's Young Cinema Night, a showcase of the some of the best short films by the country's budding filmmakers.
This year, the film screening will now feature the Philippine premiere of Toki o Kakeru Shojo (The Girl Who Leapt Thru Time) by Mamoru Hosoda which was hailed Japan's best animated feature for 2006.
Gracing the event is none other than Mr. Quentin Tarantino of the Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction fame. Mr. Tarantino is a big fan of Japanese pop culture, often incorporating J-pop elements into his fims. Most notable is the anime sequence in Kill Bill Vol. 1. Gogo Yubari, also from Kill Bill Vol. 1, is inspired by characters from anime.
In partnership with CINEMANILA, Cosplay.ph Members who go in costume get FREE ADMISSION to the screening as well as the CHANCE TO MEET AND GREET QUENTIN TARANTINO himself!
So mark your calendars and we hope to see you in this once-in-a-lifetime event!
Terms and Conditions for the Cosplayph @ Cinemanga
1. Confirm your attendance by submitting the following information:
- your cosplay.ph username
- real name
- contact details
- character you are going to cosplay
2. As slots are limited, we shall accept only the first 50 registrants.
3. Deadline for confirmations will be on friday, AUGUST 10.
4. Kindly refrain from wearing costumes that are too sexy or revealing.
5. Be at the GATEWAY MALL Cinema 1 Lobby IN COSTUME by 7.30pm.
6. Bags may be temporarily stored in the Cinemanila Gateway office , but be responsible for your own valuables. COSPLAY.PH and CINEMANILA shall not be held responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced valuables.
7. Cosplayers will meet and greet with Mr. Tarantino prior to the screening.
8. You may take off your costumes once the screening begins.
9. CINEMANGA ends at 10 pm.
For more information
You may view the CINEMANILA event schedule here
Visit the CINEMANILA website at: www.cinemanila.org.ph
Visit the CINEMANILA discussion group here
UPDATES as of 7th August: For those who will not be cosplaying but want to watch the screening, regular ticket rates are at PhP100.00. Students get the discounted rate at PhP75.00.
The festival is issuing and selling Gold Tickets, priced at PhP750.00, at Gateway Mall. These cover entrance to the An Afternoon with Tarantino event and also serve as free passes to 10 movies.
Finally, QUENTIN TARANTINO HAS ARRIVED IN MANILAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! \^0^/