Wednesday, December 20, 2006

PORTED FROM VOX: The Filcosplay Big Sister's Party-Hosting Guide (Was QotD: Party Time. Excellent.)

Are you throwing or attending a holiday party this year?  Any ideas/tips to share?

I attended two in this year already. One was the Filcosplay Christmas Party I helped out in, the other is the Christmas party of my company. I don't know if this counts, but my gals at the Kaka Fun Club are having dinner on the 23rd. Not to mention the family parties that each side of the parentals throw (with my family usually doing the party for the mother's side)

Here are some things I've learned about hosting holiday parties:
  • Games are always good for parties, never mind if the attendees' ages range from 1 to 101. They not only let you learn something new every time (Uncle, during a guess-the kid-in-the-picture game: ****** ***! I didn't know my sister looked like that at age 10! O.o Mum (the sister in question) and us: ... >_>0 ...For serious!), they also foster group dynamics (Same uncle, this time during the let-yourself-and-a-partner-out-of-your-belt-bindings-without- using-your-hands game: Us: YOU CHEATER!!! ... True stories I tell you.). + XD
  • If you are the host(ess) and you plan to have games at the party, make sure everyone in the party is wearing comfortable clothing and comfortable, easy-to-move-in shoes. Chuck your costumes and your high-heeled shoes, unless you either wear them like second skin or you are desperate for attention (in which case, you're better off trying to play with or against your crush or something than stepping on his/her toes, or worse, literally tripping all over him/her). This will be true especially for motion-based games. 
  • You can never have too much dessert. Especially if the dessert is leche flan (sweet egg custard, prepared by yours truly).
  • Hell, you can NEVER, EVER have too much food. And if you do, at least you have take-aways of the good stuff. I mean, really. Almost all the best food I've ever eaten was cooked and prepared for the Christmas holidays. And I know this will be very Filipino to say, but having too much food is better than having no food at all, especially in holidays celebrating abundance and thanksgiving.
  • Music always sets the mood. Choose songs that fit the holiday mood, but have a more upbeat rhythm. I don't like Destiny's Child so much anymore, but their Christmas album gets everyone I know who has been in our house during the holidays partying.
  • Name tags help a LOT especially in parties of 25 and more, and especially when you think these people will be meeting each other again, possibly outside of the party/holiday atmosphere. Not to mention that it cuts the host(ess), who has around a bajillion concerns in his or her mind because of the party, some slack in having to memorize who's on the guest list.
  • Oh yes, always, ALWAYS draw a guest list, even if it's the people you know. And make sure they RSVP. It completely blows to invite these people and then come party day, no-one arrives.
  • Always bring a still camera. If you can afford to, bring a video camera. Just make sure you get around to editing everything and sending them to the participants no more than a month after the party though. v^~^0
Alright, I can't really suggest much at the moment. My older sister is the mistress of our house and the best hostess ever, but sadly she's studying elsewhere at the moment, so I'm still learning the ropes my own way with her guidance. v^~^0

+ I swear I will make comic strips out of these. 

No comments: